- Katie Stilo
Pistachio Ice Box Cake
Serving Size: 12
Time To Prep: 10 minutes
Time To Cook: 0 Minutes
Making an impressive summer dessert shouldn’t require you to use your oven! This simple icebox cake comes together in minutes, and you won’t even have to heat up your kitchen. The wafer cookies will soften slightly in the fridge as the dessert sits. The small addition almond extract brings out the pistachio flavor. This recipe truly comes together faster than you could place a delivery order for ice cream.
One 3.4 oz package instant pistachio pudding
2 cups whole milk
One 8 oz container Cool Whip
¼ teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of Kosher salt
Three 6-ounce packages vanilla crème wafer cookies
Chopped pistachios for garnish
1. Follow pudding package instructions for cold preparation. Whisk together the whole milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes, until slightly thickened.
2. Add extract, and salt to the pudding mix. Whisk to combine.
3. Fold cool whip into pistachio mixture.
4. To layer: place about 16 wafer cookies in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Depending on your dish, you may use a few more or less cookies for this portion. Top cookies with 1/3 of the pistachio mixture. Repeat layering process two more times, ending with the remaining 1/3 of the pistachio mixture on top. You should have 3 layers of the wafer cookies.
5. Smooth top of cake and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill and soften the cookies for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
6. Garnish with chopped pistachios before serving.