- Katie Stilo
Grilled Chicken Giambotta Skewers
Serving Size: 8 skewers, 4-6 people
Time To Prep: 20 mins active, overnight marinade
Time To Cook: 15 minutes
A twist on my popular stove-top recipe for Chicken Giambotta made BBQ friendly! This can also be done using an indoor grill pan but cook times may vary slightly. Inspired by the southern Italian dish that typically contains a mixture of summer vegetables available to the region at that time. The briney flavor from the peppadews adds a brightness to the rich flavor of the chicken and sausage. If you like spice, kick up the Calabrian chili paste in the tapenade a bit. You can even add some to the marinade!
For the skewers:
2 pounds chicken breast, diced into 2-inch pieces
4 sausage links, par-frozen and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch size pieces
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut in half, or quarters if large
3 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
Wooden skewers, 12-inches long, soaked in water for about 30 minutes before using
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup reserved brine from peppadew peppers jar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the tapenade:
One 14-ounce jar peppadew peppers, diced, brine reserved
One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, and diced
¼ cup reserved brine from peppadew peppers jar
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste
½ teaspoon salt
1. Make the marinade: Place a large zip-top bag inside a medium mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, ¾ cup reserved peppadew brine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper. Stir to combine.
2. Add chicken, bell peppers, onions, sausage, and potatoes to the marinade and mix to combine to ensure everything is coated in the marinade. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. *To help make cutting the sausage easier, place links in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before hand.
3. In the meantime, prepare the tapenade. Mix together diced artichoke hearts, diced peppadew peppers, ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup reserved peppadew brine, 1 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste, and ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
4. Assemble skewers: To the skewer, add a few pieces of onions, followed by a piece of chicken, 1 piece of bell pepper, 1 piece of sausage, and 1 potato onto a soaked wooden skewer or metal skewer. Repeat until skewer is mostly full, You should have 3 pieces of chicken, and 2 pieces of sausage per skewer.
5. To grill: Place skewers onto a pre-heated grill over direct medium-high heat. Baste skewers with leftover marinade during the first 5 minutes of cooking. Cook on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, until well-charred and potatoes and chicken are cooked through.
6. Remove from the grill and place onto a serving platter. Serve with artichoke and pepper tapenade over top.