Chicken Rollatini with Fontina, Spinach and Parmesan
Updated: Apr 19, 2020
This is my Italian play on chicken cordon bleu. I was at my local Italian specialty store the other day and was inspired to create this recipe after seeing something similar on their menu. You can use mozzarella instead of fontina and ha instead of prosciutto. Its really easy to adapt this recipe using whatever you have on hand.
6 thin chicken cutlets
2 cups fontina cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
6 slices thinly sliced of prosciutto
One 5 oz container of spinach
2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane or minced
Olive oil for sautéing
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
Shallot Cream Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 shallot, sliced crosswise into ring
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add spinach and cook till wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add grated garlic and immediately turn off the heat. Stir to combine garlic with spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Lay out chicken cutlets on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Divide sautéed spinach between the 6 cutlets placing it on thicker end of the chicken cutlet. Add about 1/4 cup of fontina cheese to each cutlet. Top with a generous sprinkling of parmesan.
3. Roll chicken starting from the thicker end. Place seam side down on baking tray. Repeat till all chicken have been rolled.
4. Place lightly beaten eggs and breadcrumbs each in their own shallow bowl. One at a time, dip stuffed chicken into beaten eggs and coat completely. Then dip in breadcrumbs being sure to coat completely as well. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom, about 1/2 cup. Once oil is hot, add 3 pieces of chicken and saute on each side till deep golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and place back on baking sheet. No need to clean the tray because the chicken will finish cooking in the oven and remove any risk of cross-contamination.
6. Once all chicken has been sautéed, transfer to oven and cook cheese is melted and internal temp is 165, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
To make the sauce:
1. Wipe out the skillet previously used to saute the chicken. Return to stove and turn to medium heat. Add in olive oil and butter.
2. Once butter is melted and oil is shimmering, add in sliced shallots. Sauté till softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Lower heat to low, add dijon and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in squeeze of lemon juice.